Health & Safety
Fire, Medical or Police:       9-1-1
So Cal Edison:   800-611-1911
Gas Co 800-427-2200
Mental health: 805-652-6727
Poison assistance: 800-876-4766
After-hours water: 805-388-5325
After-hours sewer: 805-389-4516

Emergency Coordinator
Phone (805) 388-5349


General Information
Ventura County Environmental Health Division administers a variety of programs in food protection, waste disposal, vector control, land use, hazardous materials, underground fuel tanks, and recreational health. The division performs facility inspections, conducts educational workshops and seminars and, when necessary, takes legal action to enforce health codes. It is the Environmental Health Division' s goal to eliminate or prevent health problems through developing and implementing regulations to safeguard the public health, by providing advice and information to the public, businesses and industry, and by coordinating environmental health program activities with federal state, and local gencies. 

The Environmental Health Division offers, free of charge, pamphlets on a wide range of topics, from opening a food establishment to controlling mosquitoes and rats. The division's public service counter is located on the third floor of the Administration Building at the Government Center at 800 South Victoria Avenue in Ventura. The counter is open 8 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday. For more information on the programs and services of the Environmental Health Division, please call 654-2813. 

Enviromental Health Illness and Complaints
As part of the inspection program for restaurants and general food establishments, the Ventura County Environmental Health Division responds to and investigates food related complaints, product soundness and potential food borne illness. In cases of possible food poisoning, please contact the Environmental Health Division as soon as possible, preferably within 48 hours. The number to call is 654-2813. It is also recommended that a physician be consulted. The division also handles inquiries on other public environmental conditions that may pose an imminent health hazard. However, problems with garbage and recyclables inside the city limits should be reported to the Public Works Department at 388-5380.