Economic Development Strategic Plan
Economic Development Strategic Plan
Public Comment Period
June 8, 2018 – July 9, 2018
The City of Camarillo is entering the final stage of the development process for the City's Economic Development Strategic Plan, which will provide a comprehensive blueprint for generating quality economic growth in Camarillo.
Public input is critical to the success of the planning process. All Camarillo residents and members of the local business community are invited to review the draft Plan, which is available for download here: Draft EDSP.
Written comments may be submitted via email, fax, and U.S. mail by Monday, July 9 to:
Kathy Talley – City Manager's Office
City of Camarillo
601 Carmen Drive
Camarillo, CA 93010
Fax: (805) 388-5318
What is an Economic Development Strategic Plan?
The City of Camarillo’s Economic Development Strategic Plan will provide a “road map” for attracting business investment, creating jobs, and ensuring the City’s long-term fiscal health. The Plan will identify growing, high-wage industries that could be the focus of future business retention/expansion/attraction efforts. The Plan will also consider closely-related issues such as infrastructure, land use, housing and workforce development.
The City retained The Natelson Dale Group, Inc. (TNDG) – an economic development consulting firm with experience throughout the United States – to lead the strategic planning process. As part of the planning process, TNDG facilitated a Community Workshop held in October 2017, and three Summit Meetings held between November 2017 and February 2018 attended by business and community members. Below is a description of TNDG's goals for the planning process:
- Provide background research about Camarillo’s current economic conditions to enable community stakeholders to make decisions based on accurate, up-to-date information;
- Identify growing, high-wage industries that Camarillo could potentially target for future expansion or attraction;
- Complete a real estate market analysis to quantify potential development demand for new retail/restaurant, office, industrial and hotel facilities (taking into consideration the City’s fairly limited supply of developable land);
- Assess a range of “foundational issues” affecting Camarillo’s capacity for future economic development (including infrastructure, workforce, housing, quality of life, development environment);
- Prepare a strategic Action Plan based on the consultants’ research and local stakeholder input. The Action Plan will provide a detailed “road map” for pursuing quality economic growth in Camarillo.
Key issues that were evaluated during the course of the planning process included:
Core industries/labor demand:
- Industry growth/retraction trends
- Workforce requirements and the degree to which they match local supply
- Relation to Ventura County and regional trends
- Targeted industries of competing communities in the region
- Current skill levels and other pertinent characteristics of the local labor pool
- Commute patterns and relationship to region
- Overall demographic shifts affecting workforce development
- Appropriate comparisons to State and regional benchmarks
- Barriers to attracting technical workforce
- Realestate (land/building capacity to support new commercial/industrial development)
- Infrastructure (transportation, telecommunications, utilities, etc.)
- Workforce training and placement programs/service providers
- Public (K-12) and higher education
- Public/nonprofit economic development organizations
- Funding/resource levels for economic development programs
- Community aesthetics and other quality of life issues
- City/County regulatory and permitting environment